24 Nov Get Ready to Escape to Warmer Weather
If you are one of the fortunate ones who move to warmer weather for the winter months, we have a few suggestions for you to keep your home safe while you are away.
- Have your mail forwarded and stop your newspaper delivery.
- Ask a friend or family member to regularly check on your home and remove any fliers or papers left by your door or mailbox. This person should also have access to your house in case of an emergency.
- Notify the police that your home will be vacant and give them a phone number where you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Arrange for snow removal from your driveway and walkways.
- Put all of your valuables in a safe deposit box or other secure location.
- Set the thermostat to a minimum of 55 degrees and leave the furnace running to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Remove any food to keep pests away.
- Shut off water to dishwasher and washing machine.
- Unplug all appliances and phones.
- Do not post your travel plans on social media.
- Turn on your alarm system and motion activated lights.
- Set a few interior lights on timers.
- Make sure all of your windows and doors are locked.
After you have taken these precautions, you can head south, relax, and enjoy the warm rays of the sun.
Did you enjoy this blog? Subscribe now to receive more!
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your medical professional or legal representative for information specific to your needs.