06 Jul Effective Telecommuting
Many companies are offering their employees the opportunity to work from home. This may sound terrific to you; however, you must remember that you are still a valuable employee and need to meet your company’s expectations.
To be as successful working from home as at the office, you might want to follow these 5 suggestions.
- Choose a workstation. Your home workspace should be located in a spot where you can focus and work uninterrupted. Some good spots may include anything from a spare room you’ve turned into your office to a corner of your dining room table. Keep in mind that you do not want to set this space up and move it each day. Also, your couch, bed, or recliner would not be a good workstation. These are meant for relaxation and your brain knows that.
- Set up your communication devices. This would include making sure your computer is functioning properly so you can send emails, attend virtual meetings, and stay connected to your colleagues and supervisors. One important aspect of this is to protect your devices from cyber-attacks by installing proper security.
- Schedule your day. Plan your work hours. What time will you start and end, how long do you need for lunch and other breaks? Then stick to the schedule.
- Stay focused. While working from home you can be easily distracted without co-workers or supervisors around. You might be tempted to throw in a load of laundry, run an errand, or even take a nap, but remember you’re getting paid to be productive and working at home is an added benefit.
- Evaluate yourself. It is important to occasionally assess how you are doing working from home. Be honest and ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I enjoy working from home?
- Do I stay connected with the company and my co-workers?
- Am I as productive, meeting deadlines, and accomplishing goals?
- Do I need to make any changes?
If, after evaluating yourself, you feel that working from home is not the best scenario for you, speak to your supervisor and see if other arrangements can be made. If you are working from home successfully and making a positive impact on your company, this will show your bosses that you value and appreciate the benefit they’ve offered to you.
Source: Zywave, Inc. 2017
Did you enjoy this blog? Subscribe now to receive more!
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your medical professional or legal representative for information specific to your needs.